Thursday, November 6, 2008

I'd Make a Good Muslim

I was sitting with my friend, Fatima* while I listened to her tell me what a good Muslim I would be.

"It's very easy to be a Muslim. And you like all of the things our religion likes. You would make a very good Muslim."

We had been talking for over an hour about a variety of things, and the conversation had turned to spiritual things when I asked why she was now wearing a veil. Fatima explained that ever since Ramadan, she decided she would wear it until the day she died. Her religion was incomplete, she said. Fatima explained that some women who wear the veil don't have good hearts, and some that don't wear the veil do have good hearts. She wanted to have a good heart, and follow the rules of her religion so she could feel like she was measuring up.

I used this as an opportunity to tell her what Jesus Christ said about the heart. I told her what He thought of the Pharisees who knew all of the rules, and outwardly looked righteous, but inside their hearts were black. My dear Muslim friend agreed with this idea, but later reminded me that God does not have any children.

I'm telling you this story because I left my time with Fatima feeling very good about our conversation. It was one of those times, when we were just two women talking like old friends. We talked about family, kids, living in Europe, and when the time was right, God gave me opportunities to ask questions. These questions led to spiritual conversations. And those spiritual conversations may lead to Fatima pondering why she believes what she believes. I've shared the Gospel with her twice now, and we often speak of God and religion. So when I'm able to sit down with her and have a natural conversation in which the Holy Spirit is present, I feel good. I feel good because I know that God is at work in my friend's life.

-Melissa in Europe

No comments: